Saturday, April 11, 2015

Barneys Love Yourself Sample Bag Review: Valery Joseph EXTEND Hairspray, Armani Black Ecstasy Mascara and Tatcha Aburatorigami Blotting Papers

And so comes another review!

In case you're wondering on the format of these reviews, I take 3 items from the gift bag that was available during Barneys Love Yourself event in March.  I try them out for a week and give you my thoughts.

This week I tried Valery Joseph EXTEND Hairspray, Armani Black Ecstasy Mascara and Tatcha Aburatorigami Blotting Papers.

Shall we begin?

Valery Joseph EXTEND Hairspray:  The can says that this is suppose to make your hair look weightless, sculpted and shiny.  The mist that is dispensed is super fine and the smell is pleasant, albeit a little more mature than I would like.  It's a floral scent that is slightly plastic-smelling.  I find this true with most floral scented hair products.  If I spray a lot of product the scent becomes a bit sour-smelling but once it airs out, it's back to the floral plastic with maybe just a hint of musk.  The scent lasts on the hair a long time.  It lasted on my hair until my next shampoo.

Now onto performance....  I used this spray to finish off some curls I made with my flat iron.  I love how bouncy fresh curls are and have yet to find a hairspray to keep them that way.  Spoiler alert!  I still haven't.

After 2 hours my curls became waves, and while they were very pretty, I was disappointed.  The hairspray seemed to have no effect on keeping a tight curl in my hair.  And while it gave texture and a bit more fullness, it was indeed a dud.

I tried this again on flat hair and I believe this is where it shines best.  My hair stayed smooth and my flyaways were in check.  But I don't really have issues with that and can use any hairspray for those issues. 

So overalI I think this is great for keeping hair smooth, but it's not something I would ever buy.

Armani Black Ecstasy Mascara in Obsidian Black:  This mascara is not a daytime mascara.  It's not a mascara you use when you want a natural look.  This mascara is for night time use.  At least for me......

The length of the brush is nice and long, but it isn't too plush so I can maneuver around my lashes with ease.  The formula is a little wet but it doesn't take long to dry.  My lashes also stick together a little bit but it doesn't look like spider legs.  It thickens, gives a bit of length and provides a decent curl on my lashes.

As for smudges, there was a bit but nothing I couldn't handle.  Actually I've just been wearing this mascara casually.  I'll have to see how well it fairs after a night out.  This definitely smudges less than the Givenchy Phenomen'eyes, and it is much easier for me to apply.

Overall I really like it.  Do I like it enough to buy it?  Maybe not.  But if funds were no issue I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

Tatcha Aburatorigami Blotting Papers:  These are hyped up but honestly I can kind of see why.  The packaging looks unassuming and other than the gold flecks, the papers look a bit plain.  But when it comes to effectiveness they work and work well.  I currently have Boscia Blotting Papers in my purse, and even though they are technically made from the same ingredients I still reach for these.

My only complaint?  They're freaking expensive!  So while I do likes these papers a lot, I can't justify the price.  If they are ever on sale or apart of a package deal (Space NK has these in packs of 2 for $15) I will (and have) stock up.  But at $12 per pack, it's too rich for my blood.

That's all for now.  I'll be back next week with more product reviews.  Enjoy your weekend and have fun wherever you are.

Live Happy!    


No comments:

Post a Comment