Monday, April 6, 2015

Barneys Love Yourself Sample Bag Review: Kevyn Aucoin Lip Liner, Givenchy Phenomen'eyes Mascara and 3Lab Perfect Cream

Hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!  While it was raining in the morning for us in SF, by the afternoon things were drying off and the night was lovely.

So I have 3 more products to review for you from the Barneys Love Yourself Bag that was available last month.


So I basically pick 3 items and try them for a week.  It's pretty basic, and I can't comment on long term results.  These are just initial impressions.

So first off is Kevyn Aucoin the Flesh Tone Lip Pencil in Medium.  This pencil is formulated to give lips a neutral base and the color helps negate red tones in the lips.  It really is just a basic lip pencil formula-wise.  The best part about this pencil is that it does neutralize red tones in the lips and makes for a great neutral (not really nude) lip.

I applied this on bare lips and it gave me a great matte lip.  However, this pencil is a bit dark and if my lips weren't naturally so pigmented I don't think this would look as good on me as it did.  This is the downside to products that are touted as a one size fits all.  If they made 3 shades of this lip liner I think that would cover just about everyone.  But as it is now, I think a lot of people will just see is as a brown lip liner.

Overall, not worth the cost but it is a great addition to have when I'm looking for something more than lip balm to wear on my lips.


This took some getting used to.  You are basically painting your lashes with a mace.  It's quite innovative but I did poke myself in the eye more than once....

The formula is a little on the wet side but the applicator works well and each lash was coated and lifted.  This mascara caused noticeable curling of my lashes and I was impressed that it didn't clump and my lashes appeared longer as well.  But with my small eyes, this mascara was just too messy.  Also, if you have hard to curl lashes this might not be enough to throw away your lash curler.

The formula smudged on my lower lashes after a couple of hours but never got to raccoon eye status.  The effect on my lashes lasted until I took it off at night so I am fairly impressed.  Overall I really like this and will finish the sample, but I need a mascara that doesn't smudge on my lower lashes and this isn't it.


I'm usually on the fence about a lot of 3Lab products.  I like them, I use them, my skin looks great, then I breakout from the products.  This has happened to almost everything I've tried from them.  It's even starting to happen with the brand's BB Cream that I love, so I'm really a Sad Panda about it.

This Perfect Cream is suppose to literally be the perfect cream.... yet the cynic in me asks why they offer other creams if that is indeed the case.....

It's suppose to tone, firm, hydrate, lift and help reduce pigmentation.  The ultimate anti-aging cream!  I found it to apply nicely on my skin and absorb well, but it left a greasy feel afterwards.  I used this at night and didn't notice any breakouts during this time.  Although, as I said before, it takes a while before my skin becomes irritated by these products.

I didn't notice any anti-aging effects, nor would I expect to after a week.  But my skin did feel a lot softer and smoother even though my minor wrinkles were still there.

The jury is still out on this one.  I actually might just go ahead and continue using this for another week to see if my skin can tolerate it..... or maybe not.

If you like 3Lab moisturizers and need a non specific anti-aging one this might be a great choice.  Or you could be like me and this could make you breakout eventually.

That's it for me.  I'm trying out some other samples this week and will let you know what I think of those next time.

Until then, live happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment