Saturday, March 28, 2015

Barneys Love Yourself Sample Bag Review: Nars Restorative Night Treatment, Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream and Revive Moisturizing Renewal Cream Supreme

So another review is to be had.


First off can I say that product names are just getting ridiculously long nowadays.  I understand the need for differentiation but come on!  My fingers are getting arthritic typing these product names.

On to it shall we?

Nars Restorative Night Treatment

This was a tiny sample, and because I am an ill-prepared individual I forgot to note how much was given.  But if I remember correctly it was either 2 or 3ml of product.

I have to say that I think I'm in the minority here.  Reviews for this are overall positive, but this just wasn't my cup of tea.  The consistency is a thick balm (almost like grease or pomade) when you first squirt it out of the tube.  You rub it between your palms to warm it up and thin it out and apply to your face like an oil.  Seems easy enough...

But the product never got to the oil stage for me.  It remained thick throughout.  Thinking that I used too much, I tried to rub the excess on my hands and arms.  It was still greasy.  So I apply this to my face and it just sits there.  I look at my hands and arms in which I applied the excess product and it just looks like it's sitting on top of my skin.  I figure I'd just sleep on it and see how my face looks in the morning.

Morning comes and my face still looks greasy.  My hands are softer but my cuticles became drier?  This is weird......  I wash off the product and get ready for work.

Later that night I try it again.  I squeeze out a dab and an oily substance is leaking out of the tube.  Did it separate?  Exactly how old is this sample?  I rub the oil that leaked out together with the balm in my hands and pat it on my face and neck.  Skin is still slightly greasy but doesn't feel like I have petroleum jelly all over my face.

The next morning I wake up and see no real change.  My skin isn't drastically softer and the product just sits on my face.  After trying this a few more times, I give up.  Can't win them all.  The fragrance is pleasant and it reminds me of hair product.  The texture of this product is like pomade to me and never became the non greasy oil I heard so much about. 

Overall nothing gained and nothing lost.  It didn't make me break out and it didn't make my skin softer or more hydrated.  It just sat there.  I don't see this on my must-have list anytime soon.

Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream

This sample is 0.5oz, so it comes in at a tenth of the weight of the full size.  This is a lightweight cream that feels like body lotion but is similar to Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream once rubbed in.  It has kind of a generic hair product scent that is mostly floral.  It's not offensive and not overwhelmingly strong which is always a good thing.  

I use this on damp hair and while it worked well for the uncolored parts of my hair, for my bleached parts it was not enough to keep it moisturized and detangled.  I use this in conjunction with Biosilk Silk Therapy Lite and it gives my hair great texture and sheen.  While this might be a great leave in for normal or slightly dry hair, if you have heavily processed or damaged hair it will most certainly not be enough.  I like this a lot when used with other products as I find it does give my hair a smooth texture and makes it easy to style but it isn't enough on my processed hair and at that price point, it should be.

Revive Moisturizing Renewal Cream Supreme

This comes in a 7ml (0.25oz) jar.  I love the original Moisturizing Renewal Cream so I had high hopes for this one as well.

First off the texture is totally different from the original cream.  The original cream had a light slippery texture and was easy to overdo.  This cream is more of a balm.  It's texture is like a pot of lip balm.  The scent is of citrus as is most of the line and once you scoop some of this balm out and rub it in your hands it softens to a petroleum jelly consistency.  When applying to my face I noticed that it did not sting as much as the original renewal cream.

When you put this on the cream feels more like a shielding balm.  It does absorb into the skin, but not completely.  By morning, there's still residue on the skin.

Overall, I think this would be great for Winter.  The balm-like consistency really feels like it locks in the moisture.  As for the exfoliating action, I feel that the original Moisture Renewal Cream does a better job at that.  If you're looking for something that give more moisture and is not as harsh as the original then this would be a great alternative.

That's all for me!  Have a wonderful weekend and live happy!

I'm currently using 3 more items from the bag, I'll have my reviews of them next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment