Saturday, January 31, 2015

Review: Jordana Modern Matte Lipstick

Matte lips are all the rage right now even though almost every brand I know makes a perennial matte lipstick.

Today I went to Walgreens and picked up the new Modern Matte Lipsticks from Jordana.  These were about $2.49 each so I figured why not...


The lipsticks themselves come in a sleek tube that has a flat, slanted top to it.  It makes it harder for me to apply straight from the tube because it's difficult to maneuver around my cupid's bow.  If this were presented as a regular tube of lipstick or a chubby lip pencil I think it would be infinitely better for me.

I got two colors: Matte Style and Matte Dare


Matte Style is a basic red that leans more warm/neutral than blue.

Matte Dare is a dark, gothic purple that reminds me of a watered down version of MAC's Cyber.

Top is Matte Style, bottom is Matte Dare. Taken with flash, notice the patchiness of Matte Dare.
Left is Matte Dare, right is Matte Style.  Taken under bright light, no flash.

Both have a faint vanilla scent that is reminiscent of MAC with that slight chemical smell to it.  The scent does linger a bit on my lips but it's nothing that I can't handle.

Is it really matte?

Honestly, I find a lot of "matte" lipsticks being churned out right now don't feel or really look matte at all.  This is one good example of a pseudo-matte.  While these are low shine lipsticks I can't say they really qualify in my book as matte.  I can get the same effect from blotting down most lipsticks or applying lip balm and filling in my lips with liner.

So in my book, they're not a matte lipstick.  Low shine yes but not matte.

Wearability?

The colors are great.  There is going to be transferring with these shades so if you're going for a bolder color then check your teeth every once in a while to make sure you don't have lipstick on them.  The formula feels very good on the lips but application can be patchy and the texture of these lipsticks is drier (considering they're suppose to be matte this makes sense).  I had issues with Matte Dare being patchy and you might want to use a lip liner underneath so that the color can look more even.  Matte Style was a little tricky putting on but I found the color applied evenly with no patchiness.

Longevity?

These will wear out after eating and will need to be reapplied.  They also transfer to everything.  But I do notice (at least with Matte Style) that as it fades it leaves a stain behind on the lips. so they're never completely naked.

So overall for $2.49 they aren't a bad deal.  I think they're pretty close to Wet n' Wild's Megalast Lipstick and if you like those then you'll probably like these.  But I don't really like those and I don't really like these either.  This is something that I won't be repurchasing and honestly might not even wear very often.  Given the low cost, I'm not too bummed out but a little part of me does wish I just would've spent the money on candy.....

That's all for me.  Have a wonderful weekend and live happy!      



      

No comments:

Post a Comment