Friday, October 31, 2014

Bath Salts: Nichigo Shukubanoyu Bath Salt Assortment

This is going to be a long post.  I bought these bath salts at Mitsuwa and thought it would be a great way to try out a bunch of different scents.

While I'm glad I tried this out, I don't think I'll purchase these again.


First off, and it honestly shouldn't bother me but it does..... they're made in China.  In fact the only English words originally on the box are MADE IN CHINA.

Secondly, I bought these thinking that they would be therapeutic.  The ingredients list that was on a sticker placed there by the importers listed many beneficial ingredients like angelica root, perilla leaf extract, peach leaf extract and so on.  Most bath salts have a combination of salts with a dash of fragrance.  So this seemed very promising in delivering more benefits to the bathwater.  Sadly, once you add these to the bath they seem to do nothing more than color the water and very lightly scent the bath.

Overall, I would think to get the desired benefits you would need to add 2 packets per bath which isn't worth it for me.  I can understand if it's a bath salt from Daiso since it only costs me $1.50 but this 10 pack cost around $7 dollars and I wouldn't consider this a good value.

If all of that critique doesn't bother you then let me tell you more about each scent that is included.  I tried looking online and translating words but of course there will always be some things lost in translation.  Also, while I took a bath with all of the scents I did forget to take pictures so there are a few sink shots.

Kusatsu (light green):  This bath salt contains net extract and peach leaf extract.  I have no idea what net extract is or what it's suppose to do.  Peach leaf extract is suppose to treat gastric distress congestion and minor skin irritations.  The scent smelled very much like shiso leaf and the water turned a light yellow color.

Yamashiro (light blue):  This bath salt contains net extract and mugwort.  Mugwort is mainly used as an energy tonic and helps with digestion.  When used with other ingredients it can help with anxiety and insomnia.  The color of the water is a slightly cloudy blue.  The scent is actually very strong and doesn't fade as much as the others when the tub fills.  The scent is strongly herbal and medicinal and one sniff will clear up your sinuses.  This would be a great bath to take if you're feeling congested or think you may be coming down with a cold.

Dogo (yellow):  This salt contains angelica root and citrus (satsuma) extract.  Angelica root helps with joint pain and the citrus extract helps with circulation and bloating.  The water is a clear orange and the scent is a light citrus that quickly fades away.  I wasn't impressed with this bath at all.

Hakone (aqua):  This contains net extract and birch extract.  Birch helps to ease muscle pain and has anti-inflammatory properties as well.  The color of the water is a toilet bowl clear blue.  The scent is a mix of woody/ floral/ feminine/ cooling and is quite nice but for some reason reminds me of the smell of ointment.  Overall this bath really didn't do much and the scent was pretty much gone once the tub was filled.

Noboribetsu (green):  This contains angelica root and perilla.  Perilla is also known as shiso and is mainly used to help treat asthma (when not used as food).  It can also help with nausea and induce sweating.  The water color is a slightly cloudy green.  The scent smells exclusively of angelica root in all of it's herbal glory.  The scent fades once the tub is filled but it still persists throughout the bath.  The scent of angelica root is nostalgic for me so I found the bath very comforting.  However if you are unfamiliar or do not like the smell of angelica root then this might not be a relaxing experience for you.  Also, it didn't help with my asthma at all.

That's all for me and this long post.  If you have questions please ask them in the comments.

Have a wonderful Halloween and live happy!    

No comments:

Post a Comment