Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale: Will There Be Anything Left Come 7/18?

So right now for card holders, one of the greatest sales in Nordstrom is happening right now.  It actually started last Thursday but I've been in shopper mode and only now have had time to look back and gather my thoughts.

So is this sale worth it?  It depends, as all sales do.  But I will say it is worth checking out.


The pros of this sale is that you are actually shopping for the next season instead of the past season.  If you're looking for gift then you know for sure that the recipient won't have them because they've only been available for a few days.  If the recipient is a manic shopaholic that was up at 12am PST shopping online then that chance of them not having the item decreases and you should've gotten them a dragon egg or a unicorn.

It's also a great way to preview Fall trends and get an idea of what you may or may not need and stock up on basics.

The cons of this sale....

Oy!  Supply!  The popular items are never kept in enough stock.  It's a tricky game to play because you don't want bring in too many items that won't end up selling, but honestly, the popular items that show up every year should be bought in larger numbers for when the sale opens to the public.

Other cons seem to be that the quality of the items is not like the regular stock quality.  Items are sometimes made specifically for the sale and may not be of equal quality.  Another big con for me is that there are items that are the same every year.  These are not basics per se and could use a little deviation or embellishment to keep people interested.  I guess it's good for my wallet, but I hate seeing some of the same shoes year after year.  And are leather dresses really such a Fall staple that we would need one every year?

But I digress.....

If you haven't checked out the sale yet then you're going to have to dig deeper for some covet-able finds.  This will most likely in the form of returns and you being at the right place at the right time.

I have heard from many workers that they will not restock.  So if you were looking for a Pashli in blush for a Chloe bag then you're probably out of luck.  Same goes if you wanted a Longchamp Le Pliage Expandable in Bilberry.  I just don't think you'll find it.  Word is on the first day of the early access sale the handbag area was crazy.  I'm sure there were a few potential fist fights about to erupt due to these handbags.

But just because most of the popular items are gone doesn't mean you can't find good deals.

This is my personal list of items that I fell for this anniversary sale.

1- Zella

I fell in love last year and stocked up this year.  Not I will tell you that you can possibly find Zella at The Rack but if you want a sure thing then this sale is a great way to stock up on Live In Leggings.  The cuts on their Barely Flared pants are more fitted in the hips and thighs (which I don't like as much) but their other offerings are great.

2- Kid's Nikes

Now this isn't fair because I have small feet and can fit kids shoes but I'm putting it in none the less.  The youth sizes go up to a 5 I believe which is equivalent to a women's size 6.5 - 7.  So if you see a style that you like available in kids then save yourself a couple of bucks and get it there.

3- Beauty

There are a few gifts with purchases going on.  Most notably: Lancome, Estee Lauder and Clarins.  I didn't buy any colored cosmetics this time around but I did buy a double pack of my favorite sunscreen (Clarins UV Plus).  They also have a few new Voluspa candle trios and also have Bella J. candles.  These candles all come with a charm in the wax similar to the friendship candles of the 90's.  Charming Darling is suppose to be a Nordstrom Exclusive.
Also the skincare and cosmetic sets are solid deals if you don't already have anything like it.  I would personally skip the Clarisonic unless you want to get points on it.  There are other times when you can get it cheaper (during Sephora's Friends and Family deal).

4- Accessories

If you like aviators and big sunglasses then you'll be in for a treat.  This year they got in some great brands including Tom Ford, Jimmy Choo and Wildfox.  Honestly, I was impressed with the selection even though I didn't get anything for myself.  Also watches were plentiful indeed.  You have many styles to choose from and they also higher tier brands like Michele, Burberry and Movado.

5- Home Goods

I really think this area gets no love.  Everytime I go in the store the SA at the home section are never busy.  And it sucks because there are great things to be had.  First off, this is the only time of the year that the Westin Heavenly bed is on sale.  Actually, I'm not sure if they still offer it on sale during anniversary, but I did get my Heavenly Bed at 25% off during the sale 5 or 6 years ago.  And I must say it was the best purchase ever.  I love my bed!  But what I love about this year is that home goods has a lot of transitional items.  
Chalkboard mugs and beverage dispensers are great to go from Summer to Fall.  Also, there's great deals on their blankets and throws.  I got a Kennebunk throw for $26 and it's super soft and warm, I normally get a Nordstrom brand throw but this one was plush and cheaper.  Perfect for chilly nights and at a great price.  Even the SA was impressed.  It's also a great time to stock up on home diffusers and towels, you can never have enough towels..... or if you're looking for the kitchen their "Hudson" collection is clean and simple and they have awesome placemats that says " Yummy", "Scrumptious", "Delicious" or "Nomomom".

That's my mini review.  I know, I didn't go into women's clothing or shoes.....  Honestly, I didn't see too much that excited me.  But I will say there are a great variety of boots to chose from and the clothing seemed to focus mainly on loose shirts and skinny jeans.

Hope this was helpful.  I also wish you all the luck in finding something wonderful this sale.  Have fun and live happy!

   







  

No comments:

Post a Comment