Monday, March 24, 2014

Confection: Green Tea Cake with Strawberry Mousse

So I finally go and do a confection post!

It was my friend's birthday and I was inspired to try something new.  I have to say that times like these are great for practicing techniques and recipes.  So in that spirit I decided to try something new.


I made a green tea cake with strawberry mousse filling and iced it with the same strawberry mousse.

A couple of things to note....

The shelf stable whipped cream from Trader Joe's is kind of awful.  It's also misleading because you still need to chill it for 6 hours prior to whipping.  Best bet is to stick to the good old fashioned heavy whipping cream.  However, I did add half a cup of the shelf stable whipping cream to my batter and the cake turned out wonderfully moist and light.

Always have extra gelatin packets handy.  You just never know.

Also, don't go overboard with the gelatin.  I became paranoid and instead of one or two packets I ended up using four of them!  The resulting mousse was more like jelly.

Also, don't forget to assemble cakes when they are fully cooled down and if you want a thick layer of filling then chill the cake after putting the filling in and wait for it to set before adding the top layer of cake.


Other than that I'd say it was fairly simple and I have a bunch of great things to work on next time.


So satisfy that sweet tooth and live happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment