Friday, December 20, 2013

Fragrance of the Week: Issey Miyake L'eau D'issey Absolue

I acquired this at the Nordstrom Fragrance Fair that they hold usually twice a year.  I have to say that even with my numerous perfumes, I still am able to find something that catches my interest (and my wallet).

I remember the original light floral of L'eau D'issey and how I wore it all the time.  I actually won the bottle in a raffle at a previous Fragrance Fair and couldn't be happier.  It was light but not androgynous and it made me (and every one of my friends who tried it) feel pretty.


Fast forward 20 years and out comes Absolue.

If I had to describe this scent I would say it's like a honeybee on drugs.

I get a lot of the lotus that is also present in the original, but also a lot of warmth and sweetness.

The scent is described as a captivating floral scent featuring notes of honey, night -blooming jasmine and vanilla.

The Perfume Shop describes the scent as:

Top - Fresh floral notes mixed with honey
Heart - Night - blooming jasmine
Base - Vanilla and precious wood

Honestly I get very little jasmine from this scent.  Maybe I'm expecting more of a jasmine absolute or my skin eats night - blooming jasmine, but it just isn't a strong player on me.

The honey and the flowers instantly make me think of bees gathering pollen.  There is a sweetness to the scent that isn't the honey but it's nectar.  I smell a beautiful fresh picked flower.  From the flower, to the nectar and finally the stem and leaves.  I smell it all.  Once the initial scent has passed I get a warm vanilla and woody base with just a faint touch of jasmine.

The more I think of it, the more this perfume reminds me of a romantic date.  From the bouquet of flowers in the beginning to the warm fireplace at the end of the night, this is to me a winter date in a bottle.

It smells elegant, sweet, warm and romantic.  And while heavier than the original, it is still light enough to wear to work.  But I think it works best as a night fragrance.

If you loved the original, then I suggest you give this a spritz.  It has the heart of the original with a beautifully warm and romantic twist.

Have a great weekend and live happy!   


No comments:

Post a Comment