Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cold Weather Essentials

I apologize.  I've been sick and it's been too cold to get me thoughts together.  But that doesn't mean that I don't have a few tips for you now.

When the weather dips into the 30's (cold for me) I rely on these things to get me through the days.


First: Body warmers

This includes leg warmers, arm warmers, stomach warmers and neck warmers.

These are essential for me when it gets cold.  If it's below 40 degrees (about 4.5 degrees Celsius) when I wake up I don't leave me home without at least a stomach warmer (got mine for $1.50 at Daiso) and leg warmers under my jeans.  Neck warmers are also great.  They pull right over your head and give you a bit of a barrier from the harsh dry air by covering just a bit of the space in front of your mouth.  I usually find that with a neck warmer, I don't need a humidifier and my throat and sinuses don't get as dry and irritated.  Scarves also work but I always have issues with them sliding off or being bulky or not warm enough.  I neck warmer solves all those issues for me and it's much more compact that a scarf.

Second: Uniqlo Heattech

I swear this works.  I am so happy that Uniqlo is now available in many cities here in California.  They are one of the bests brands when considering basics and layering.  Their heattech items wick moisture away from your body and convert that to heat.  It also has antibacterial properties so you don't get stinky..... however, it will not hide sweaty armpits..... and it will only heat up so much.  But it's amazing how much warmer I feel with that thin spandex-looking shirt under my clothes.

Third: Thermacare heat wraps

That's right!  When my own body heat won't do I turn to Thermacare heat wraps.  These are only for extreme cases of cold and if you ever go out into the snow I suggest using these instead of those dinky hand and foot warmers. These last at least 12 hours on me and they provide amazing heat.  A little pricey but honestly worth it if ever you find yourself bone chilling cold.  I usually get the ones for the large ones for the lower back and wear it backwards so that my core is always heated.  The larger size covers just a bit more area on my abdomen.

Fourth: Down Jackets and Boots

I prefer for them to be lightweight because then I don't feel as bulky.  I usually bring these out when it gets windy or rainy and I want to keep dry and warm.  Also, just because boots have down in them doesn't mean they have to look rugged.  United Nude has Bubble Boots that you can still buy.  And I can confirm they keep your feet and calves nice and toasty.

Fifth: Aquaphor

I know I mentioned this in my treatment post but honestly, a tiny tube of Aquaphor is essential for going out in cold weather. I put this all over my face before I go out and my skin is spared the horrors of winter air.

Sixth: Emergen-C packets

I was recently sick and with the weather being cold as ice I also noticed my dad getting a runny nose.  Time to buy a pack of Emergen-C.  When I get sick I drink this everyday and it really does make me feel better.  I also make my boyfriend drink it if he's feeling a cold coming on and try my best to get me dad to drink it so that he keeps healthy.  This is great for me because I like the taste, it's easy to mix and I don't like taking vitamins.  Plus the packets are really easy to carry around and it can also be used post workout to replenish lost vitamins.  You can get a free sample on their site.  But just a warning, you might not feel the full effects until you try it for a few days.  The first day I felt nothing.  By Day 4 I was a believer.

Seven: High Fat Candies

This list is getting pretty long huh?  That's right though, high fat candy.  My candy of choice is Almond Roca, I can eat that all day and night.  But my reason for this is for energy.  Three pieces of Almond Roca has 200 calories.  This makes it a great quick boost for me when I feel I need some extra energy.  Works better for me than snack bars, granola plain nut mixes, trail mix and energy bars.  Another choice of mine would be Almond Joy minis or even Snickers minis.  I guess I have a thing for almonds.

Eight: Deodorant

Last one here guys.  Just because you don't sweat doesn't mean you won't stink.  Packed malls mean that there are a lot of body odors to fill the air.  While most odor is caused by bacteria that thrive in the moist and warm areas of your body, just remember that even if you aren't sweating you're body is releasing moisture (hence drier skin) and you maintain a certain body temperature (being warm blooded and all).  So while they aren't reproducing like crazy, they're still reproducing.  Given enough time, you will indeed start to get stinky.  So go ahead, put in some deodorant.

That's all for me.  Tomorrow is Friday!!!!!!  

Have a great weekend and live happy!






No comments:

Post a Comment