Friday, December 6, 2013

Fragrance of the Week: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Now I am well aware at how polarizing this fragrance is, most coveted fragrances are.

This is the fragrance that began my obsession 20 years ago.  I honestly can't believe how long it has been.


Now let me tell you, as a youngster addicted to sugar, the thought of having a perfume that smelled of bergamot, tropical fruits, vanilla, caramel and patchouli spoke to me like no other.  Not to mention the bottle was a collectible in of itself.  Shamefully, although I adore the scent, I really don't have an opened bottle of the eau de parfum.  I have a few limited edition scents opened, even the eau de toilette, but not one of the original that I "fell in love" with.  In fact, I have an empty star somewhere that I have yet to get refilled.

However, at first I didn't like it.  In fact when I first smelled it I remember being sorely disappointed.  The SA said "It smells like candy huh?" and I did my best to hide my sadness and pretended to agree.  It didn't smell like candy.  It didn't smell sweet or like fresh caramels and chocolate or like See's Candies.  It smelled.... strong.  Strong and heady and overwhelming.  But being stubborn, I convinced myself that I liked it.  How could I not?  Imagining the notes was like imagining the greatest confections.

But yeah no.  I lied to myself.  I lied to myself for a long time.  The scent was strong and heavy and filled the air like thick opium smoke.

I thought I could start light with the body lotion, and while that was much lighter, it was still pretty darn strong.  I tried the bath stardust, deodorant, shower gel, body powder..... you name it I tried it.  All of that was mediocre at best on me.  I thought if I continually exposed myself to it that I would eventually love it.  But that's not how things should work now is it?

It took about 7 years for me to finally truly love and appreciate the fragrance.  I suppose perseverance pays off, but honestly I was an idiot for forcing myself into loving a scent for so long when I didn't.  It was a gamble that in the end payed off because now I have a vast menagerie of Angel and Angel affiliated products.

So how did such a scent go from yuck to yum?

Well, a lot had to do with me growing up.  A lot also had to do with my body chemistry changing.  Remember now, when I first smelled this fragrance I fell in love with the idea of it.  But being that I was 12, I still had a lot of time to grow up and my skin chemistry was all over the place in my adolescence.  

Angel Innocent came out and that helped a lot in bridging my opinion on Angel.  They were similar enough yet Innocent was light enough where I could wear it without giving myself a headache.  I easily finished the bottle and loved it so.

One day I was playing around with my perfumes and decided to spray Angel on myself and went to bed.  The next morning, the scent was still there but it had morphed into something lovely, deep and not too strong.  I couldn't put my finger on it but I did get compliments on my fragrance.

What had changed?  Time!

Apparently I needed about an 8 hour drydown before the scent really worked its magic on me.  My skin began to amp up the sweetness that it had never done before when I was younger.  The patchouli was kept in check instead of running everywhere like a naked baby.  Once I learned a little more about perfumes I also realized that I was spraying far too much on.  Being used to lighter fragrances, I sprayed Angel on as I would any other fragrance and was wrong for doing so.  From then on I would spray once in the air and walk through it or once on a chosen part of my body.  Doing this made the lovely drydown scent appear much sooner.  Now when I spray a bit on my wrist, the scent dries down much faster and I am left with a sensuous aura that feels like a big plush blanket in the middle of winter.

I also noticed that the parfum smelled much sweeter than the eau de parfum on me.  I'm actually not too fond of the eau de toilette even though it's lighter.  Not sure why, but this could also be a factor.  Many scents can smell different on an individual depending on their concentration.

So there you have it.  Nothing magical at all.  Now when I wear Angel, I imagine that this must be how a brothel in Candy Land smells like.  It's sweet, sexy and warm.  I can't describe the scent at all other than saying that it smells like Angel.

I am no longer a girl trying to make a lady's fragrance work on me, I am now a lady wearing a fragrance that was made for me.

Hope this helps, or was at least an interesting read.

Have a great weekend and live happy!  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment