Thursday, November 15, 2012

Review Time! Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Icon

First and foremost I have to say that the name for this product is ridiculously convoluted.....

But the product is straight up gold!

My first thoughts of this gloss when I saw it in store was that it was super saturated with pigment and left a gorgeous shine.  Icon is described as a deep ruby red and I would have to agree. For me it's just light enough not to be considered goth but it borderlines vampy well enough.

As a person with a fair amount of red lipsticks in her collection I decided to get my closest colors and do a comparison.

Icon is swatched on the top




The other reds are as follows: MAC-Strut Your Stuff, MAC-Totally Fab, Elizabeth Arden-Golden Red, L'oreal-Target Red, Giorgio Armani-400, L'oreal-Ravishing Red, MAC-Port Red, MAC-Dubonnet and MAC-"Red" She Said.

Now color-wise I really would have to say that the closest is Armani 400 and I can imagine this gloss looking gorgeous layered on top of it.  But for those looking for a cheaper alternative I think L'oreal Ravishing Red mixed with a little burgundy liner and topped with a high-shine gloss could yield similar results.

Am I glad I got it?  Yes!

Will I buy it again?  Maybe.  

 I have actually only used up an entire tube of gloss twice.  The first time was with the NYC gloss that was clear with white holographic/iridescent glitter in it.  I can't tell you how much glitter I ingested in my youth because of all the glittery lipglosses I had.

The second time was with MAC Deelight.  I wore that gloss until I took the wand scraper off and started digging in the tube.  I'm very close to finishing my Viva Glam 6 gloss but stopped wearing it when summer coral colors came around.

Should you buy it?  That all depends on you.  

It's a great red that looks classic yet updated.  It's a bold lip indeed but not too bright and not too dark where people will think you have a lot of inner angst.  If you like Armani 400 then you will like this color as well.

  





  

No comments:

Post a Comment