Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Food.... Kind of..... My Initial Impression of Soylent

So for some reason or another I've been intrigued with meal replacements lately.  This led me to discover Soylent.  However, I wasn't about to order then wait 4 months for powder.  As I was lamenting my luck and looking for alternatives my friend offered me some of his to try out.  Can you say score?


So there have been a good amount of reviews already on this product.  Some have been interesting reads like this one.  Others..... well I know everyone has an opinion but reviews like these make me wish I could sue for the time I wasted reading such an irrelevant article.

So first off, you can find Soylent here.  Just a note, they charge your card when you order not when they ship.  This powder is touted as a full meal replacement, so much so that you could live solely on Soylent alone.  But with that in mind, there is a lot of leeway.  There are a bunch of DIY Soylent recipes here and many people only use Soylent as a meal replacement, not as food replacement.  The claim that it can replace all food is an extreme one and while it can technically be true in survival situations where you have access to clean water, it is more the exception than the rule since everyone has different nutritional needs.

What I find Soylent to be, is a well rounded foundation in which you can either build upon or use alone.  The choice is really up to you.  Actually everything about the product is up to you.  There's no right way to prepare and drink this.  It's all based on your personal preferences.

So taste.....

It's gritty, that's for sure.  And if you drink this on the thinner side like I do, you get a fiber overload towards the bottom of your cup.  But as far as taste goes, it's good.  I've had worse tasting protein drinks.  This tastes slightly sweet and like oats.  Not quite vanilla, but pretty basic.

Satiation.....

It works to keep my hunger at bay during the day and I don't get groggy after lunch like I would if I were to eat a solid meal.  In fact, I can have this for lunch and not feel hungry until 6pm.  I can then decide if I want another Soylent or if I want to eat solid foods.

Physiological.....

It's only been a couple of days and I'm not using it exclusively for all of my caloric intake, but honestly, I like it.  I feel full without feeling tired and I have energy all day.  The one issue that I, and apparently a lot of others have, is that it causes major gas due to the fiber content.  Even though my preparations of Soylent are fairly watered down, I do still get some gas.  It's bearable for me though and it beats having to feel tired and useless after a meal.

Variations.....

I've tried it alone, with matcha powder, cocoa powder and almond milk so far.  While it still tastes pretty much like oat water, the additions do add to the flavor and it makes for an enjoyable drink.  I have yet to add fruit or sweeteners but I assume that given the bland flavor of Soylent that it would take up any flavor well.

Thoughts.....

I like it.  I really do.  As far as meal replacements go I think this is a pretty good one.  It's convenient, it provided basic nutrition and it maintains my energy levels.  My only real issue is that it takes forever for new orders to go through.  If they could fix that then I would be tempted to make this an everyday part of my life.

So that's all for today.  Hope your week goes well and live happy!  

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment