Friday, August 23, 2013

Confection! Panda Cake Time

So I finally made the 3 tiered panda cake for my friend's red egg and ginger party she had for her daughter.

This was definitely a labor of love and I learned a lot in the process.

As for would I do something like this again..... it depends.

A few things were against me when making this cake.



First off my inexperience really hindered me.  But we only get better with practice right?

Secondly, this cake was pretty big and I had to drive it from San Jose to SSF in the front seat of my car.  That was a very stressful and slow drive.

Third, I didn't prepare enough in advance.  I did a lot of preparation but the process could have been smoother.

All in all I think if I were to attempt another large cake I would prepare all of my supplies (including cake) well in advance and find a place closer to the location to work on it.

The cake was red velvet with an extra kick of cocoa.  I call it red devil.  The icing was cream cheese and the cake was decorated and coated with modeling chocolate.

Note: Modeling chocolate is great for making designs but for covering a cake it became brittle once it cooled.  Next time I will definitely have to knead some fondant into the modeling chocolate to give it some elasticity.

I also overbought on supplies by two-fold.  Not a bad thing since it's always better to have more cake than to be short of cake, but I had way too much cake leftover.  I also overbought and made too much modeling chocolate.  For my recipe I used Wilton Candy Melts for convenience.  It's a good thing black and white are nice basic colors and that modeling chocolate stores well for a long time. 


Black oil based food coloring from kneading the black modeling chocolate.
My initial body outline of the bottom panda.
Stacking very nicely.
Dirty iced and placed in the freezer for a quick chill.

Some of my friends have too much time on their hands.....
A lot of time.....
A huge amount of time.....
Covering the chilled body with modeling chocolate.
The top two pandas are all coated.
Top panda done.
Bottom panda done but sweating...... next time I will have to up the AC.

Side view of completed cake.
Front view of completed cake.
Thank you and have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment