Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Franken Time! Plus Yummy Mint Chocolate Cookies

I just wanted to say first that this blog has been really fun and I never realized how much of a beneficial outlet this could be.  I get lazy to blog (like I assume a lot of people do) but after every post I feel better.  I feel like a weight is lifted or as if I accomplished something.  Trivial as it is, I found blogging to be great therapy.

Cosmetic:

So as noted in my last post I will be starting a small Etsy with a trial run of 10 polishes (5  colors).  I will be adding the items in before the week is over and, truth be told, I'm eager to buy more supplies and play around.

But today I have for you a franken requested from a friend of mine over the weekend.  We went to Nordstrom and went all crazy for the nail polish.  Truth be told it was one of the more crowded areas.  She tried on Butter London's Branwen's Feather and deemed it too dark.  She then layered a coat of Deborah Lippmann's Some Enchanted Evening and loved the look.  However, being broke we can't afford $18 on polish.  

So she asked me to make her a pink glitter polish.  I accepted but I didn't really know what I had ahead of me.  I knew I didn't have the exact color of pink but I had something similar.  That night I used the rest of my nail polish base and got this.....

without flash

with flash

The glitter....  I might have overdone it.  It's a bit tricky to work with and application was uneven but I was able to maneuver okay.  But I knew that even with a nail tech for a mom, my friend would have difficulty with this.  From pinkie to index finger the polish is seen at 1 coat, 2 coats, 3 coats and 2 coats over black.

So searching through my vast collection of polishes I ran across OPI DS Reserve.  I hate how this polish looks on me so I banished it to the frankening box.  Turns out this was just the kick I needed to make the polish more user friendly.

without flash

with flash

Much better handling and coverage looks a lot more even.  Again, from pinkie to index finger the polish is seen at 1 coat, 2 coats, 3 coats and 2 coats over black.  You can barely see the black polish under 2 coats and the major bonus is that the glitter is still pretty and sparkly, not too much dulling from the addition of a colored polish.  It looks more put together and less like a child's art project.  I definitely think this is a success and I can't wait to try to make this again once I order more supplies.  But for now, this lonely bottle of polish awaits it's new home to be either loved or neglected.

I call this polish Pink Bonnie.


Confection:

So I've been lazy in the confection department but this is going to make up for it.  I present to you, Mint Chocolate Whoopie Pie!


I got the recipe from Bakerella's site.  You can find the recipe here along with a bunch of other easy and delicious goodies.  

The filling is a mint ganache that I have perfected over the years, yet never bothered to write down the recipe.


Oh yeah!  They're awesome when just made.

Thank you for reading and have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Find here b2b buyers for your cosmetics supplies business. This directory helps you to find out suppliers and manufacturers from all over world.

    ReplyDelete