Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mini Post: Kiehls Super Fluid SPF 50+

So this week was a little hectic to say the least.

The lab had a 2-Day inspection, and while I was not active for much of it the pain of having inspectors in the same building was indeed felt.
I'm really ready for the weekend to come already......

But enough whining...... this review is for those who are afraid of the sun's damaging rays (like me).
Cosmetic

As the title states, this review is on Kiehl's Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+.  
sample size of Kiehl's Super Fluid

For everyone who is looking for a lightweight sunblock with a high SPF you may have just found your holy grail formula.

Now as for me and how I feel about the brand, let's just say that everything I have ever bought from Kiehl's was awful for my face.  The pineapple scrub was blah, the algae mask did nothing for my face and the color preserving shampoo did not preserve my color.

So let's just say I was a bit disenchanted by the brand.  But I trip to Barneys during the beauty event led me to acquire a bag full of goodies including this tiny tube of what I would later find to be the best sunblock I have ever used on my face.

I currently have Natura Bisse SPF 30 Oil Free Fluid.  When I first got it I have to admit it worked pretty good, but I would have to pat this lotion on or else my moisturizer underneath would rub off and I would get all these grey rolled-up bits everywhere.

Also the price is crazy expensive.  $95 for 3.5 ounces!  What was I thinking?  Well I know, I thought if it worked great on my skin then it would be worth it.  However,  I find myself using this more on my arms and body rather than my face.  It's a bit rich and I've had some issues with breaking out while using this if I use too much.

So I take this little sample and decide to try it out one day.  I figure if anything it has 20 more SPF than what I currently use (btw Natura Bisse has a SPF 50 for $125).  First thing to note is that you're suppose to shake well.  Second thing, it's super runny and is very fluid and looks like milk.

It smells like sunscreen, but well.... it's suncreen so I don't really mind.  It kind of applies like an oil but after a couple of minutes it had totally absorbed into my face.  Subsequent uses revealed that if I only used a little at a time to go over my face in sections and build coverage, it absorbed almost immediately.

Throughout the day, my skin felt a bit oily like it would had I used nothing.  But remarkable thing is that it wasn't super oily or shiny.

After a week of constant use I am in love.  Supple skin, UV protection and no breakouts!  This is something I think I'm going to have to invest in.

So my ratings:
Value : 3 - Although I have yet to buy the full size, price per ounce this is cheaper than the Natura Bisse I currently have.  However, it's not cheap by any means.  A 1.7 ounce will set you back $34.  But Kiehl's is a brand that is sold in many places so if you have points or rewards that could be used towards merchandise, it would take a bit of the sting out of buying it.

Ease of Use : 5 - All you have to do is make sure you don't put on too much at a time and you're golden.

Quality : 5 - While everything from Kiehl's sucks monkey butt as far as I'm concerned, this one product might make me think the brand as a whole sucks a little less.
Repurchase : 5 - Well this isn't so much a repurchase as it is purchase.  Once I can get some spare change for sunblock I'm totally picking this up.

Overall : 4.5 - This is a great sunblock for the face but the price makes it's harder for me to justify buying.  Now if the price were at say $20- $25 or the size were 2.5 to 3 ounces then this would be perfect for me in every way.

Confection

It was warm once in the Bay Area so I got me a tasty treat.
Rice Dream Vanilla Nutty Bar

This is really great for those who can't hang with the dairy.  The ?rice cream? is not too sweet and creamy but still very light.  The dark chocolate isn't sweetened so be fore-warned that it 's a little bitter.  The peanuts were only okay, they kept falling off and they didn't taste as peanutty as I hoped.  Still,  when the days are hot and you're lactose intolerant, you can still look like a normal person and enjoy in a icy treat that won't give you the runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment