Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Dry Flaky Skin and Breakouts Part 3: It's Oil Time

This is a continuation from Dry Flaky Skin and Breakouts Part 2.

This post will focus on oils for the face.  A lot of people have begun to use oil to moisturize and some people are still weary of adding oil to their skin when they suffer from breakouts.


First off, not all oils are created equal.  A lot of the stigma that comes with oils is due to the pore clogging oils that were used in the past (and still today).

A lot of oils today absorb well in into the skin and help nourish the skin instead of coating it.  I have noticed a huge difference in my skin once I started using oils.  My skin felt softer than it would when I used lotion and the effects lasted all day.  Usually, if I use a lotion or cream I would get shiny by lunch.  Oddly, enough this didn't happen with oil and I was able to use a lot less and still get superior moisture benefits.

I was able to cut down my morning routine by just applying oil and sunblock.  At night, I would treat my skin to an extra drop if I felt drier than usual and I would wake up with soft skin.

Like with most things, more is not always better.  If you want to be indulgent and smother yourself in oil then go ahead.  It does feel amazing, but the skin can only take so much.

I find to get the maximum benefit from oil is to use a couple of drops at first and build up drop by drop until you are adequately moisturized.

Some of my favorite oils for my face:

Coconut Oil - It is a solid at room temperature.  All I do is scrape a bit off from the top and rub it between my palms until it liquifies.  I then apply it to my skin, first by patting it all over my face and then finish by rubbing it in until it is absorbed.  It smells like coconuts and this oil can be used for everything.  It's great as a makeup remover, it moisturizes hair and skin beautifully and it's really affordable.  Plus you can always cook with it too.

Josie Maran Argan Oil - This is what converted me to oil all those years ago.  It absorbs well, had no strong fragrance, moisturizes all day and a little goes a long way.  I use 3 drops for my face and another 2 for my neck and decollete and still have enough residue to rub into my hands.  It keeps me moisturized all day but my nose will get a little shiny by 3pm.  I love adding this to other moisturizers for an extra kick.

Tatcha Camellia Beauty Oil - This is my latest venture and it has been all positive.  This is pretty darn expensive, but it's been working really well for me.  The oil is lighter than the Josie Maran Argan Oil and also has a slightly lemony scent.  The scent doesn't linger but it makes for a refreshing application.  It absorbs in completely and pairs well with whatever moisturizers I have used so far.  I've had no breakouts and my skin is baby soft.

So the moral of the post..... oils are a wonderful thing and they don't have to cost an arm and a leg (even though some do).  Just don't go overboard and you'll find a wonderful addition to your moisturizing arsenal.

Hope this was helpful, next post..... Treatments!

See you later and live happy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment